Cook Time: 45min plus overnight for marinating
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (add more for spicier chicken)
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 (4 lb) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- ½ tablespoon cayenne pepper
- Canola oil
- Buttermilk Marinade: In a 2 gallon-sized plastic bag combine the buttermilk, mustard, salt, dry mustard, cayenne, and black pepper. Add the chicken pieces and turn to coat. Seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Frying the chicken: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, dry garlic, Cajun seasoning, cayenne pepper and salt. Add chicken pieces and turn to coat thickly. Let the chicken stand 10 minutes, turning occasionally to coat with flour. Shake off excess flour before frying.
- Fill a large Dutch oven with 4-5 inches of oil, heat the oil over medium-high heat, bringing it to 375 degrees F. In batches of four, fry the chicken pieces for 7-8 min.
- Take chicken and place on baking tray. Place in oven on middle rack and cook for about 20 more minutes or until done.