Cook Time: 3 hour 30 minutes
5 Lbs Bone-In Beef Short Ribs, Cut Crosswise Into 2′ Pieces
Kosher salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3 Tbs Vegetable Oil
3 Medium Onions, Chopped
3 Medium Carrots, Peeled, Chopped
2 Celery Stalks, Chopped
2 Red Bell Peppers, Chopped
3 Tbs All-Purpose Flour
1 Tbs Tomato Paste
1 750-ml Bottle Cabernet Sauvignon
10 Sprigs Flat-Leaf Parsley
8 Sprigs Thyme
4 Sprigs Oregano
2 Sprigs Rosemary
2 Dried bay Leaves
1 Head Garlic, Halved Crosswise
4 Cups Low-Salt Beef Stock
1) Preheat oven to 350°. Season short ribs with salt and pepper.
2) Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. In batches, brown short ribs on all sides, this will take about 8 minutes per batch.
3)Transfer short ribs to a plate. Pour off all but 3 Tbsp. drippings from pot.
4) Add onions, carrots, peppers, and celery to pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until onions are browned, about 5 minutes.
5) Add flour and tomato paste, stir constantly until flour and tomato paste are well combined and deep red, 2-3 minutes.
6) Pour in wine, add short ribs with any accumulated juices. Bring to a boil then lower heat to medium and simmer until wine is reduced by half, about 25-30 minutes.
7) Put herbs in cheese cloth and wrap. Add herb bundle to pot along with garlic. Stir in stock. Bring to a boil, cover, and transfer to oven.
8) Cook in oven until short ribs are tender, ~2 1/2 hours. Transfer short ribs to a platter.
9) Strain sauce from pot into a measuring cup. Spoon fat from surface of sauce and discard.
10) Place sauce in sauce pan and bring to boil. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper. Cook for ~5 minutes.
11) Serve in shallow bowls over mashed potatoes with sauce and vegetables spooned over.