Cooking Time: 2 Hours 30 Mins.
1/4 Cup Extra-Virgin Olive Oil, Plus more for drizzling
2 Heads Garlic, Cloves Separated but not Peeled
3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
1 Tbs Minced Rosemary, Plus 3 Sprigs
1 Tbs Minced Thyme
One 5-6 lb Bone-In Leg of Lamb, Aitch bone Removed
Freshly Ground Black Pepper
1 Large Sweet Onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick wedges
2 Large Carrots, cut on the diagonal 1/2 inch thick
2 Large Celery Ribs, cut on the diagonal 1/2 inch thick
Red Skinned Potatoes, Quartered
- Preheat the oven to 400°. In a small bowl, combine the 1/4 cup of olive oil with the minced garlic, rosemary and thyme. Set Aside
- Score the fatty top side of the lamb about 1/4 inch deep. Season the lamb all over with salt and pepper. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the whole garlic cloves, onion, carrots, celery, potatoes, and mushrooms with a generous drizzle of olive oil.
- Place vegetables in an even layer and season with salt and pepper. Scatter rosemary sprigs over the vegetables and set the leg of lamb on top, fatty side up.
- Spread half of the garlic-and-herb rub all over the lamb, making sure to rub it into the score marks. Roast the leg of lamb for 20 minutes.
- Spread the remaining rub over the lamb and add 1/4 cup of water to the baking sheet. Roast the lamb for about 1 hour and 20 minutes. Rotate the baking sheet a few times. Cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted in the thickest part of the meat registers 145° for medium.
- Add a few more tablespoons of water to the baking sheet at any point if the vegetables start to get quite dark.
- Transfer the lamb to a carving board and let it rest for 20 minutes. Discard the rosemary sprigs. Carve the leg of lamb into 1/2-inch-thick slices and serve with the roasted vegetables.