Cook Time: ~45min-1 Hour
12 Oz Milk or Semi Sweet Chocolate, Chopped
1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
2 Large Egg Yolks (Room Temperature)
3/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
6 Large Egg Whites (Room Temperature)
2 Tbs Sugar
3 9oz Ramekins
1) Before starting recipe gather all ingredients and prep accordingly. Separate egg whites and egg yolks, chop chocolate, and measure out other ingredients. Lightly butter ramekins and coat sides with sugar.
2) In double boiler, combine chocolate and heavy cream, heat until chocolate is melted.
3) Remove chocolate mixture from heat. After 15-30 seconds stir in egg yolks one at a time. Then set aside to cool.
4) As chocolate mixture cools you will whip the egg whites. Before whisking add a pinch of salt and cream of tartar. Whisk egg whites until soft peaks form. Then add 2 Tbs sugar and continue whipping until semi-firm peaks form (see picture below).
5) Add 1/3 egg whites to chocolate mixture and fold egg whites into mixture. Once faint streaks appear in mixture add another third and continue to fold in egg whites. Finally add in remaining egg whites and fold in until light streaks remain. Do not stir egg whites into chocolate mixture, this will prevent the souffle from rising.
6) Fill ramekins to top with souffle mixture. You can prep souffle mixture up to 2 days before serving. Cover with tin foil and refrigerate.
7) Remove souffles from fridge and allow to come to room temperature. Preheat oven to 400 F, (375 F for convection oven). Place ramekins on baking tray and place tray on middle rack. bake souffles for ~18-20 mins or until done.