Cook Time: 2 hours
2lbs Beef fillet
1.5 lbs Baby Portobello Mushrooms
6-8 Slices Parma Ham (can substitute with Prosciutto)
English mustard for brushing meat
2 Egg Yolks
1 Clove garlic, crushed
1 Sprig thyme (fresh)
Salt and pepper
1. Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Heat oil in a large pan and sear the meat on all sides. Don’t cook the meat, just brown each side. Brush with the mustard right after searing.
3. Chop the mushrooms and garlic in a food processor to make a puree. Throw the puree in a hot dry pan with no oil and sweat out all of the liquid. Let the water evaporate and then set it aside to cool. Make sure you get as much water out of mushroom puree as possible. (mushroom mixture can be made ahead of time)
4. Lay 6-8 slices of parma ham down on a large piece of cling film, slightly overlapping, then brush with mushroom mixture.
5. Put the beef in the middle of the ham and roll the ham around the beef using the cling film. Twist the ends of the cling film to tighten the roll, then refrigerate it for 15 minutes to let it set.
6. Roll your puff pastry and then brush the edges with Egg Wash. Roll the pastry over the beef completely covering it. Cut off any excess pieces. Put your roll back in the fridge for 5 minutes. Egg Wash and bake for 35-40 minutes, you are looking for an internal temperature of 125F. Then when you let it set the temp will rise to 130-135F. Let it cool for 10 minutes before slicing.
For visual instructions watch the following video: